Saturday, December 10, 2005

"You remind me of my son"

I was doing a stint as a Salvation Army bellringer this morning. I've never volunteered to do that before. I was stationed outside our local Wal-Mart store. I was surprised at the high percentage of people who give something. Very few people put in more than a couple of dollars, but I'm guessing at least 80 percent of the people who came by this morning gave something. I was encouraged.

One man's gift particularly stood out. He came up by the side of the bucket. I didn't see him until just before he put in his gift. He said to me, "You remind me of my son." I could tell by his voice and in his eyes that it was a melancholy memory. I wish I knew the story.

It reminded me that the Christmas season is not a merry one for everybody. Many people face the first holiday season after the death of a loved one. Others, like myself, are really stressed out by the commercial expectations of Christmas. They want to give for their family, but don't have a lot of spending cash to do so. So they risk disappointing their loved ones or heavy post-Christmas debt. And sometimes Christmas is just too damn busy--sucking whatever joy one might have right out of the season by overcommitment and fatigue.

Take a deep breath, everyone. Slow the pace down and savor the true Spirit of Christmas. Do less. Spend less. Give more . . . your best gift is probably totally free and completely valuable and precious . . . YOU. Give YOU a little more this year. You might be surprised at how special and valued that gift is!

No comments: