Monday, August 22, 2011

Trusting in God's favorable vision

6 Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly,
but the proud he knows from afar.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes,
with your right hand you save me.
8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O LORD, endures forever—
do not abandon the works of your hands.

Psalm 138.6-8 (NIV, 1984)

My son, Jesse, is a high school freshman this year...his sister, Hannah, is starting her senior year. My heart is anxious particularly for my son. Jesse is developmentally disabled, with a sweet and gentle spirit. The high school environment is tough and carnal. I already had a personal demonstration of that. As I walked the hall with him, I accidentally bumped into a young "lady." I sincerely apologized, but she took it upon herself to get smart with me. If she had no respect for an adult stranger, what kind of treatment could Jesse expect from her? I know many awesome students at his school...I'm not taking her as representative of the whole. But kids like my son can be the objects of scorn and ridicule from peers.

This morning I am holding on to the psalmist's words--God is looking favorably on Jesse today. He will not be abandoned, indeed I can trust that God will fulfill God's purpose for him. (It's easy to say...much harder to live into.)

No comments: