Thursday, May 18, 2006

90 by 50

I've told my family . . . I've told the closest thing I have to a personal trainer, Mike Graham at the Old Texas Barbell Co. . . . now I'm telling the greater world. I will be turning 50 years old in about 60 weeks. I've committed myself to losing 90 pounds by my 50th birthday. That works out to be a somewhat ambitious, but realistic, 1.5 pound weight loss per week.

My plan is reasonably simple--calories in, calories out. I will maintain an 1800 calorie a day diet by keeping a food diary provided by the Mayo Clinic. I will also be weight training three days a week and brisk walking another three days a week.

I have waypoint checks planned every six weeks to reward myself as I maintain my program. There is a real big negative "carrot" motivating me as well. If I'm not able to achieve significant weight loss by my 50th birthday, I will investigate bariatric surgery to reduce my weight. The very idea is frightening to me. But I must do something.

Your prayers will be appreciated in this effort. You have my permission to hold me accountable. With God's grace and the fruit of self-control there will be less of me to love in a year or so.

5 comments:

Roy Clemmons said...

Good for you! Your post encourages me. I am struggling with losing weight. I'll lose 3-4 pounds during the week only to regain them on the weekend. It seems my discipline crumbles on the weekend. The link you provided to the Mayo Clinic helps. Thanks.

Purple Hydrangea said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement. It means a lot to me and certainly helps with my motivation, especially during plateu times in weight loss, to know that people are praying for me.

I will be praying for you too, keep it up.

I try to remember that God does not want me to be miserable and in pain, so that also helps with the motivation!

Anonymous said...

I hope for you what I hope for myself: a long, healthy life here on earth; a longer, calorie and carb free life in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! In January, my goal was 30 pounds by the time I went on vacation. Well, I've only managed 5--but I'm keeping it off! That's a small, but important, victory. I'm learning to maintain my weight loss! Don't give up! So when are you walking? I did not see you either yesterday or this morning when I left about 6:15. I've also discovered that if I don't get started with sweet things--like cola (even diet cola), candy, cookies, or even fruit juice my sugar taste buds stay in hibernation. Also, white bread is a killer. It seems to stimulate an appetite for more stuff. I've also heard that doing Sudoku will get your mind off nibbling, but the jury is still out on that. I will ask you Sunday if you managed your 1-1/2 pounds. Do you have any suggestions for me to help with the nibbles? Midafternoon at my desk is the hardest part of the day, well after television that is.
--Marcia

Oh--P.S. to Jessica -- I want to be taller and thinner in heaven.

Anonymous said...

good for u/ i have been praying about this in your life/mine too/
i am doing 50lbs by 50/ unfortunately, i have only six months left/ i started it my last birthday and so far havent put myself as a priority/ i seemed to put everything else first/ u can do it though/ i know god answers prayer/