Saturday, June 07, 2008

A lesson from my journal


Something struck me while journaling today . . . but the lesson came in an unexpected way. I take my journal with me almost everywhere . . . whether I am actively using it or not. I keep it open to the page holding my latest entry. My last choice for a journal was a wirebound spiral notebook. When I am not consistently practicing my quiet times the pages in my journal get worn, tattered and stained. Some pages actually get torn out because they have received so much stress. On the other hand, when I am actively reading scripture, praying, reflecting, and journaling the journal pages stay decently in shape.

My journal pages reflect my soul "state." When I'm not attending to my spiritual practices, my soul is worn, tattered and stained. I don't experience the peace and sense of wholeness that comes with regular communion with the Lord. When I notice the pages in my journal getting worn and stained it should be a sign to me to get back to the spiritual disciplines that keep me in touch with the soul-invigorating presence of God.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and put a new and right spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from your presence,
and do not take your holy spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and sustain in me a willing spirit.

Psalm 51:10-12

No comments: