Thursday, February 02, 2012

Finding oneself cooperating with evil

I frequently spend several minutes on Thursdays reflecting on The Compassionate Life using a devotional aid from Renovare. The Occupy movement has had me thinking about bringing about change through non-violence. I have been reading a collection of essays and speeches by Thomas Merton entitled The Nonviolent Alternative (New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1980). I'm finding lots of wisdom that applies to other situations. Here's a quote I wish Eric Holder and the Department of Justice had taken heed of before approving Operation Fast and Furious:
Whoever finds convenient excuses for this adventurous kind of policy, who rationalizes every decision dictated by political opportunism and finds it justified, must stop to consider that he is perhaps himself cooperating in the evil. (p. 17)

No comments: