Monday, January 22, 2007

Restoration Movement internet resources

I am excited about a prayer service my congregation [First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Lockhart TX] is holding jointly with the Lockhart Church of Christ. This service was planned in the spirit of recent formal conversations between the three major "streams" of the Restoration Movement begun by Thomas Campbell, Alexander Campbell, and Barton Stone. In 1906, the Movement fractured into these three streams: The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Churches of Christ, and the independent Christian Churches. Like most all splits within churches, each group believed they were keepers of the true vision of our founders. That led to further bitterness and disunity. In 2006, leaders from these three streams began formal conversations to thaw the relationships and return to some sense of the unity that was a hallmark belief of our founders. It's an exciting time, and I am most excited about our two congregations worshiping together.

I have not spoken or written much about the history of our Movement. Here are some great websites that have a wealth of information.

Restoration Movement Pages--a vast collection of biographies, documents and sermons from Restoration Movement history.

disciples.org--The official web presence of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

Disciples of Christ Historical Society--interesting historical articles and a good variety of links.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I ran across several websites that were interesting but had a bias against one group or another. I chose not to include them. I am looking for a website that deals specifically with the "three streams" conversation. I will pass it along if I find one.

I think you will find these three websites an excellent beginning if you are interested in digging a litte deeper into our Movement history.

No comments: